2720 Dept of the California Highway Patrol
2050 - TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT
The objectives of this program are to minimize deaths, injuries, and property losses due to traffic accidents; to reduce traffic delays to the motoring public; to provide protection and assistance to the motoring public, state employees and property, including protection of the State Capitol and the surrounding grounds, state constitutional officers, and visiting dignitaries; and to curtail the potential for terrorist threats as part of broader state and federal homeland security efforts. These objectives are achieved through both ground and flight operations.
2055 - REGULATION AND INSPECTION
The CHP operates 51 commercial vehicle enforcement facilities statewide with the objectives of:
- Reducing the incidence of truck and bus accidents attributable to defective vehicle equipment, improper maintenance, loading or securing of cargo, or disqualified drivers.
- Protecting the public from spills of hazardous materials or specially regulated loads, and from the improper operation of specified vehicles such as ambulances and armored cars.
- Protecting farm workers transported in farm labor vehicles and children transported in school buses.
- Ensuring that proper registration fees are paid, and protecting highways from excessive vehicle weights.
2060 - VEHICLE OWNERSHIP SECURITY
This program protects the public from vehicle theft through:
- Investigation and prosecution of the professional vehicle thief.
- Assistance and training of CHP and allied agency personnel.
- Prevention of vehicle theft through public awareness and coordination with the insurance, trucking, construction, auto manufacturing, and auto sale industries.
9900 - ADMINISTRATION
This program provides services essential for the administration of the Department and its programs, including executive, administrative, legal, legislative, policy, and information support.