3940 State Water Resources Control Board
3560 - WATER QUALITY
This program ensures the highest possible quality of water for the state. Specific activities include:
- Formulating, adopting, and updating water quality control plans and policies that set standards and provide guidance in water management decisions.
- Monitoring water quality to determine compliance with control plans, permit terms, conditions, and water standards; implement the Total Maximum Daily Load program to address pollution in the state's most seriously impaired water bodies by developing plans that allocate responsibility for reducing pollution.
- Ensuring the waters of the state are not degraded by hazardous waste spills or tank leaks, or by spills or tank leaks from solid and hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal facilities.
- Requiring waste dischargers, including storm water dischargers, to prevent and abate water pollution and inspect dischargers to determine compliance with requirements.
- Assisting owners and operators of underground tanks in financing the cleanup of unauthorized releases from their tanks.