3970 Resources Recycling and Recovery
3700 - Waste Reduction and Management
The objectives of the Waste Reduction and Management Program include:
- Ensuring all nonhazardous solid waste is stored, collected, processed, and disposed in a safe and environmentally sound manner.
- Participating in development and maintenance of local solid waste management plans describing how each city and county will reduce solid waste disposed to achieve at minimum a 50 percent diversion of waste from landfills.
- Cleaning up solid waste disposal sites when the responsible party either cannot be identified or is unable or unwilling to pay for timely remediation, and where cleanup is needed to protect public health and safety, or the environment.
- Reducing the amount of waste generated and promoting composting, recycling, and use of recycled materials in manufacturing processes.
- Reducing the number of tires placed in landfills, illegally dumped, or stockpiled while promoting technologies turning waste tires into useful products.
- Reducing the amount of improperly disposed used oil and promoting used oil recycling.
- Reducing electronic waste by providing safe and convenient collection and recycling of specified electronic equipment.