The mission of the California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) is to provide Californians with access to affordable high-quality health care including medical, dental, mental health, substance use disorder services, and long-term services and supports. To fulfill its mission, the DHCS finances and administers a number of individual health care service delivery programs, including the California Medical Assistance Program (Medi-Cal),which provides health care services to low-income persons and families who meet defined eligibility requirements.
To achieve its mission, the DHCS has set the following goals:
- Organize care to promote improved health outcomes.
- Promote comprehensive health coverage.
- Measure health system performance and reward improved outcomes.
- Increase accountability and fiscal integrity.
- Encourage the viability and availability of safety net services.