The California State Library:
- Connects Californians to state history and culture.
- Collects, preserves, and provides access to California state government publications, federal government information, and patent and trademark resources.
- Maintains access to books and information for Californians who are visually impaired or otherwise physically handicapped and unable to read standard print.
- Performs research for the Governor's Office, the Governor's Cabinet, the Legislature, and constitutional officers, and provides services and training to state government employees.
- Administers state and federal funding programs for public libraries.