By statute, the Director of Finance serves as the Governor's chief fiscal policy advisor and promotes long-term economic sustainability and responsible resource allocation.
The primary functions of the Department of Finance are to:
- Prepare, explain, and administer the annual financial plan for the state.
- Establish fiscal policies for all state departments.
- Analyze proposed legislation for fiscal and policy impacts.
- Monitor and audit expenditures by state departments to ensure compliance with the law, approved standards, and policies.
- Analyze the fiscal impact of information technology projects.